ALMOST ANYONE CAN VOLUNTEER AT THE MISSION. BELOW ARE A FEW OF OUR MOST FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Question: What types of things can you do at the mission?
Answer: We have so many unique ways to serve, but below are some of our most common volunteer opportunities:
- Daily lunch and dinner service (Monday-Saturday)
- Women and men’s clothing distribution (Tuesday and Thursday)
- Drive By Fooding outreach in City Hall Park (January-October)
- Teaching pastors for our LifeChange Recovery Program
- Administrative help (During office hours - TBD with your schedule)
- Licensed barbers and cosmetologists to cut hair
- Special events and holiday meal service
- Donation Drives - blankets, backpacks, umbrellas, socks, new underwear and toiletries are some of the most asked-for items!
Question: What is the time commitment?
Answer: 1-3 hours, depending on the type of activity
Question: What are the age requirements?
Answer: We require all volunteers to be a minimum age of 8 years with parental supervision.
Question: Can my church, company, roller derby league or scout club volunteer?
Answer: Yes! We love connecting with community groups. Contact our Volunteer Coordinator with specifics.
Question: Do I need to reserve a spot ahead of time?
Answer: Yes! Being a smaller facility, it is important that we have advance notice, so we can be sure to include everyone. Register first and our Volunteer Coordinator will contact you!
Question: What do I need to wear or bring?
Answer: Dress comfortably and modestly. Due to Public Health regulations and concerns, no shorts or open-toed shoes are permitted in the kitchen area. Each volunteer is required to fill out a Liability Release Form, which will be given to you ahead of time by our Volunteer Coordinator or on your day of service.
Question: What can I expect?
Answer: From point of contact to day of service, you will be greeted warmly and given instruction for your tasks. We are so grateful for you!
Question: Where do I park?
Answer: Street or pay lot parking. Street parking is free on holidays and after 6pm Monday-Saturday. Pay lots are located on 1st Avenue, Occidental and Washington Street, and the iconic "sinking ship" parking garage on Yesler Way.
Question: Who do I call if I have questions?
Answer: Please contact us via email or phone at 206.682.3579 x101.