Job Title: Meal Server
Purpose: Meal Servers are responsible for serving meals to the guests of the mission in a timely manner and according to the kitchen staff’s meal plan and health safety guidelines.
Work Location: Meal Servers works in the Kitchen at the Bread of Life Mission.
- Find out what is being served for the upcoming and how the kitchen staff would like it served on the trays.
- Assemble plates with the meal components.
- Warmly greet guests of the mission. Thanking them for eating with us.
- Work with a staff member or other volunteer to divide tasks for efficient service.
- Maintain proper food handling and safety in the kitchen.
- Use correct food handling techniques.
- If needed, assemble utensil cups as demonstrated by a staff member.
- After service, wipe up area and ask kitchen staff how else to clean up.
- Be a positive influence for guests and staff.
Reports to: Kitchen Supervisor
- The lunch shift is from 12pm – 1pm.
- The dinner shift is from 7pm – 8pm.
- Minimum 3-month commitment. Volunteering at least one lunch or dinner shift every other week.
- Passion for helping others, in particular, people who are experiencing homelessness.
- Willingness to receive and follow directions.
- Flexibility to help wherever is needed.
- Ability to stand and assemble plates for an hour.
- Good customer service skills.
- Sign the Volunteer Agreement / Release of Liability Form
- 16 years or older. Volunteers 14 – 15 can volunteer with adult accompaniment. Volunteers under 18 need to provide parental consent.